GET READY FOR AN EPIC FOUR DAY CYCLING CHALLENGE!
The SMBC Team organizes for the third consecutive year ‘Across The Island – The Cyprus Epic Challenege’. The 2-Day challenge will be held between the 12th to the 13th of October 2019 starting from the village of Lemythou in Limassol and ending at St. George of Peyia in Paphos. There will be a total of 2 stages of approximately 80 Km each with 2.5Km ascent with 2 feed zones every 25/30Kms. 100 registrations are available to cyclists with high MTB experience and good physical fitness. Teams are expected to start, finish and guide themselves to the finish line. The route will be marked and .gpx files for routes will be provided in advance of the race.
2-DAY CHALLENGE package
|START DATE||Saturday 12.10.2019|
|END DATE||Sunday 13.10.2019|
|BRING||MTB in excellent working condition, helmet and sunglasses. Don’t forget the sunscreen!|
Saturday, 12th October 2019
|08:00||Breakfast||Themis House, Lemithou|
|09:00||Stage 3 starts||Themis House, Lemithou|
|15:00||Stage 3 ends||Ineia Village|
|15:30||Lunch||Palates Hotel, Droushia|
|16:00||2-Day race pack pick up||Palates Hotel, Droushia|
|18:00||Briefing and Stage Awards||Palates Hotel, Droushia|
|DISTANCE||EL. GAIN||EL. LOSS||MAX GRADE|
|79 Km||1956 M||2459 M||21.2%|
Sunday, 13th October 2019
|08:00||Breakfast||Palates Hotel, Droushia|
|09:00||Stage 4 starts||Palates Hotel, Droushia|
|15:00||Stage 4 ends||Searays Cafe, Akamas|
|15:00||Awards||Searays Cafe, Akamas|
|DISTANCE||MEL. GAIN||EL. LOSS||MAX GRADE|
|48.1 Km||733 M||734 M||11.3%|
Day 1 – Palates Hotel, Droushia Village
PALATES VILLAGE HOTEL is a family run business, comfortable and traditional. The hotel is built in the historical Cypriot style with stones and fits the rural surroundings. It is located in the beautiful village of Droushia which is situated in the heart of the Akamas peninsula in the North West of the island. This charming old settlement nestles in spectacular surroundings on a rugged plateau. There are fantastic views towards the Akamas Nature Reserve and the Troodos mountain range, as well as towards the Mediterranean Sea. The Palates Village Hotel provides an ideal base for exploring this fascinating area. Droushia is only 10 minutes by car to the beautiful beaches of Latchi. The distance to Paphos International Airport is about 40km.
Across The Island 2019 – Race Rules and Regulations
- Race duration is 4 days.
- Teams can consist of 2 or 3 riders.
- Athletes must be older than the age of 18 at the start of the race
- Teams must start together and finish within a maximum difference of 5 minutes between each other, except from stage 4 of the race.
- Stage 4 is an individual race, and riders can race for individual times.
- At each stage the first 3 teams are awarded with medals while the first team also receives a trophy and yellow jerseys.
- The leading team must wear the yellow jerseys during the following stage of the race.
- Teams must complete all 4 stages of the race.
- There will be 2 feed stops per day. Time will be deducted at each feed station.
- Team members must arrive at feed zones with a max difference of 5 minutes of each other.
- Team time is calculated based on the time of the last team rider.
- Team time on Stage 4 is the average time of team riders.
- The overall winning team is the team with the lowest overall time of the 4 stages.
- In the event of the race forced to stop due to extreme weather conditions the time at the last feed stop will be considered as finish time.
- In the event of a DNF due to a mechanical failure of one of the team riders, the team’s time is calculated by adding the team’s last finish time to a 30 minutes penalty if the failure occurred before the first feed zone or to a 15 minutes penalty if failure occurred before the second. For this rule to apply the riders must inform the organizers immediately and an event representative will reach the team to inspect the issue.
- Riders are only allowed to race riding a MTB. The organizers encourage the use of cross-country Mountain Bikes (HT or FS) but any type of MTB is allowed. E-bikes are also welcome but will race in a separate category.
- Team members or their representative must attend the race briefings at the end of each stage.
- All riders must always have their race numbers at the front of their bikes and on their jerseys.
- Riders can have external support only at the Start/Finish and feed stations only.
- Except for some parts that could not have been avoided, the race is conducted off – road. Caution towards other road users is advised when riders must go on road.
- Each team shares a room.
Bike Rentals are not included in this package. Browse through our fleet below to add your bike in the cart or choose your bike later by filling in the check out form.